If you have vinyl siding, it can be a little difficult to mount things on the walls of your home since you don’t want to damage the vinyl, leaving it looking ugly and unprofessional. However, there is another solution – you can use a dedicated mounting block for the purpose.
Mounting blocks are ideal for lights, doorbells, security cameras and a whole lot more. So for anyone who thinks that might be something useful to try, here’s our guide to the best vinyl siding mounting block to help you choose the right one for your needs.
The Best Vinyl Siding Mounting Block on the Market
1. Alcoa Home Exteriors MBLOCKR PW Split Recess J-Block Mounting Block
If you are looking for a simple, basic mounting block that works well on homes with vinyl siding, this could be the item you need. It comes in two pieces, making it easy to install, and with its plain white color, it’s suitable for almost any home.
We like the way it has a simple understated appearance that makes it attractive yet inconspicuous. It sells for a very reasonable price, but the quality is decent too, so this mounting block also represents great value for money.
There’s very little to complain about here. We should point out that installation may require tools for cutting, especially if your siding is already in place. Also, this is a small mounting block, so make sure it’s big enough for your needs before buying.
All in all, this is a solid mounting block that does exactly what it was designed for with a minimum of fuss. It’s also an extremely affordable item, so at this kind of price, you can hardly go wrong.
- Easy to install – comes in two pieces
- Good quality – won’t break in a hurry
- Attractive look – stylish yet inconspicuous
- Plain white color – suitable for most houses
- Great value – reasonable low price
- May require tools for installation – especially if siding is already in place
- Small item – check the size before buying
2. Alcoa Home Exteriors METER PW Meter Base J-Block
When you have larger items to mount on the side of your home, you’ll need a mounting block of a suitable size, and that’s where this model, again from Alcoa, comes in. It’s designed for bigger accessories like hoses or electricity meters, and for items like that, it’s ideal.
We like the way it features UV shielding, so it won’t fade in sunlight. It also features a textured appearance, further enhancing its aesthetics. Since it’s made for all siding profiles, it will work on almost any wall, and once in place, it has a clean and unobtrusive look.
That said, with some types of vinyl siding, you might need to do a little tinkering to get it to fit perfectly – although in most cases, it shouldn’t be a problem. Also, it does feel slightly flimsy, but in most cases, we think it will stand up to regular wear and tear.
If you’re looking for a mounting block for larger items, this one could be a great pick. It’s easy to fit, reasonably priced and does its job well, making it an option that’s well worth a look.
- Designed for large accessories – such as hoses or electricity meters
- UV-shielded color – won’t fade in the sun
- Designed for all siding profiles – suitable for most installations
- Textured appearance – for enhanced aesthetics
- Clean look – unobtrusive fitting
- Feels a little flimsy – although probably sufficient for most applications
- May need some tinkering to fit – but can be made to work in most cases
3. WHITE UNIVERSAL J-BLOCK UNIBLOCK PW
Here’s a simple mounting block that’s simple enough for just about anyone to install it themselves, so if you have a few basic DIY skills, you won’t need to call in a pro. The dimensions are also adjustable, so it will fit siding of ½” to 1-¼”.
Since it’s made of high-quality vinyl, it should last a long time, and it can also be painted – although you’d need to make sure you use the right type of paint for vinyl.
We like the way it has a simple, elegant square shape, making it a discreet mounting block to use. Once in place, it won’t draw attention to itself, giving your home a clean and uncluttered look.
This block is a little on the expensive side, although since it only costs a few dollars more than similar options, it’s a good quality product, and we think it still represents great value for money.
Also, as with many other options, it may require a little adaptation to make it fit all types of siding correctly.
Other than these minor drawbacks, this is a well-made, versatile mounting block that does exactly what it’s supposed to do, so if you are looking for a quality, no-fuss model, this is an option that merits a look.
- Adjustable dimensions – works with ½” to 1-¼” siding
- Can be painted – but need to use the correct type of paint
- Made of high-quality vinyl – made to last
- Square shape – simple, elegant and discreet
- Easy to install – most people will be able to manage
- A little expensive – for just a simple mounting block
- May need adaptation to fit some types of siding – but not a difficult job
4. Arlington 8141DBL Siding Mounting Kits
This mounting block from Arlington could be an ideal option if you’re looking for something to mount outdoor lights on. It fits all siding types, making it a versatile option, and it’s also paintable, so you can paint it whichever color you choose.
Since it’s designed specifically for lights, it includes a built-in electrical box, and it also includes an NM cable connector to make installation even easier. Finally, this product is made in the USA, so that could be important for those who prefer to support local businesses.
There are only one or two negatives to point out. This fixture may require some caulking, although that’s quite normal and shouldn’t be a big deal. This fitting is a little pricey for what it is too – although it’s a quality item, and the price isn’t too excessive either.
In sum, this would be a good pick for anyone who needs to mount outside lighting on their vinyl siding and who doesn’t mind paying a bit more for higher quality. So if that sounds like you, this should be an option to consider.
- Fits all siding types – versatile mounting block
- Paintable surface – paint it the color of your choosing
- Built-in electrical box – for installing lights on the wall
- Includes NM cable connector – as well as the necessary screws
- Made in USA – support local businesses
- May require caulking – although this is not a big deal
- A little pricey – cheaper options exist
5. Arlington 8141 Vertical Siding Lamp Mounting Kit
Here’s another mounting block from Arlington, and it shares many of the same advantages of the model we just looked at above. It’s quick and easy to install, and it also includes the same built-in electrical box and NM cable, making it a convenient solution for outdoor lights.
Since it has the same textured surface, you can paint it any color you choose, but an additional advantage here is that it boasts a small and compact design, so once it’s on the wall, it’s extremely inconspicuous.
On the downside, some people may find there is a small gap between the block and the wall – but this is easy enough to fix with caulking, so it’s no big deal. Also, it does feel slightly flimsy. However, as long as you take care during installation, it’s sturdy enough once in place.
Overall, just like the other model from this company, this is another great choice for mounting lights on your wall. However, since this one is a smaller model, if you want something less obvious to fit to your wall, this could be the smarter choice.
- Quick and easy to install – will be on the wall in no time
- Built-in electrical box – includes NM cable
- Textured surface – can be painted to match your siding
- Small and inconspicuous design – hardly noticeable when installed
- Good value – inexpensive yet does the job well
- The plastic feels a little flimsy – be careful during installation
- Can be a slight gap after installation – but easy to fix with caulking
6. Builders Edge 130110006001 Surface Block 001
If you need a pair of mounting blocks, perhaps for installing lights on either side of a door, this could be just the thing. It’s a pack of two high-quality blocks that sells for a very reasonable price and that gives you a useful flat surface for installing accessories to your vinyl siding.
We’re impressed by how sturdy these blocks are – they’re not just flimsy pieces of plastic. They’re also designed for fitting after the siding is in place, so you can install them whenever you feel like making modifications to your house.
There are no major downsides to speak of here. We might point out that they don’t come with pre-drilled holes, although it’s easy to make the holes yourself, and some people might prefer it this way. Also, they don’t include hardware, so you’ll need to buy screws etc. yourself.
This is the kind of product that will appeal to anyone looking for mounting blocks that are solid quality and that also represent great value for money. They’re made in the USA too, so for some people, that might be an added bonus that clinches the deal.
- For installation after siding is in place – to modify existing siding
- 2-pack – ideal for fitting a pair of lights
- Adds useful level surface to siding – for a range of mounting applications
- Good quality – solid mounting block
- Made in USA – all-American product
- No pre-drilled holes – but some people might prefer this
- No mounting hardware included – need to buy screws etc. separately
7. Builders Edge 130110001123 Scalloped Mounting Block
What we like about this mounting block, also from Builders Edge, is the way it features a snap-on trim that makes it even easier to install. You simply screw or nail the bottom part to the wall, and the trim then snaps on over the top – it could hardly be simpler.
This mounting block is waterproof and UV-resistant, so it will protect your wall and also won’t lose its color in the sunlight. It’s maintenance-free too, so once you’ve installed it, you can just forget about it because it doesn’t require any looking after.
The main negative here is that it doesn’t come with any instructions for installation, so you’ll have to work out how to do it yourself. Also, it doesn’t include an electrical box – it’s a mounting block only – but for many applications, this won’t be a problem.
To summarize, this is an attractive, good-quality mounting block that will be useful for attaching a range of items to your vinyl siding wall. It’s easy to fit, requires no maintenance and also looks great, making it an option you’d do well to consider.
- Provides flat, level surface – ideal for mounting all kinds of items
- Waterproof – will protect the wall well
- UV-resistant – won’t fade in the sun
- Maintenance-free – doesn’t require looking after once in place
- Snap-on trim – makes installation even easier
- No instructions for installation – need to work it out yourself
- Doesn’t include an electrical box – mounting block only
8. Builders Edge 130110008123 Surface Block
Also from Builders Edge, this is another mounting block that shares many of the properties that make other products from this company so reliable. It has the same snap-on trim, UV-stabilized plastic frame and requires little maintenance, making it convenient and practical.
We like the way there are 24 different color options to choose from – or you can opt for the paintable model and choose your own color. It’s also made in the USA, so it would be a good pick if you want to support homegrown businesses.
Unfortunately, like other products from this brand, it doesn’t come with instructions, so you need to work out how to fit it yourself. Also, it might require some modification to get it to fit properly, although this is hardly uncommon since every house is different.
These minor negatives aside, this is an excellent product. It’s a versatile mounting block that works especially well with Dutch lap siding, so if that’s the kind you have, this option could be a no-brainer.
- Snap-on trim – for quick and easy installation
- UV-stabilized – to protect it against sunlight
- Available in 24 different colors – or as a paintable version
- Designed for Dutch lap siding – ideal if that’s what you have
- American-made product – support homegrown businesses
- No instructions for fitting – like other products from this company
- May require modification – might not fit all siding perfectly
9. Duraflo 641000-00 Mounting Block
This mounting block from Duraflo is a simple yet effective item that’s ideal for mounting all kinds of items on your wall – it’s highly versatile, making it perfect for fitting lights, doorbells, cameras, dryer vents and more.
We like the reversible trim ring that allows it to be used with ½” to 1-¼” siding, and it also comes in two pieces, making installation even easier.
Since it has a weatherproof surface, it’s designed to last a long time, even if it’s left exposed to the elements. It’s produced by a well-established company with 40 years of know-how, so this should be a brand you can trust.
This is another mounting block that has little wrong with it. It is a relatively pricey option compared to some others, although it only costs a few bucks more, so it’s hardly the end of the world.
Also, as with most other mounting blocks, it might not fit all types of siding perfectly – but with a little modification, it can be made to work, so again, this is not a big deal.
In short, another solid pick for mounting all kinds of items on vinyl siding walls, so if that’s what you need, this is another possibility to consider.
- Reversible Trim Ring – accommodates ½” to 1-¼” siding
- Weatherproof surface – will withstand exposure to the elements
- Versatile model – suitable for mounting a range of items
- Well-established company – with over 40 years of experience
- 2-part unit – for easy installation
- Relatively pricey mounting block – but still not excessively expensive
- Size may not fit all types of sidings – although can be modified to fit most
If you’re on the lookout for the best vinyl siding mounting block, you’ll probably be wondering about the kind of things you should be thinking about when choosing. So let’s talk about that now.
Sizing and dimensions
When ordering any mounting block, one of the most important things is to make sure it matches the dimensions of your siding.
Siding comes in many different forms, so there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all mounting block. Instead, mounting blocks come in a range of different sizes, so once you find one you like, you then need to make sure you order the right version for it to fit on your siding.
Electrical fittings included
Some mounting blocks are designed specifically for lights, and as such, they include electrical boxes and cables for installation.
This is not always necessary, but if you are buying the mounting block for installing lights, this could make the installation process a little easier.
It may be possible that you can’t find a mounting block that is the same color as your siding, so the other option is to buy one that’s paintable.
Not all mounting blocks are designed to be painted, but if you choose a paintable model, you can paint it any color you like.
Usually, when you attach something to the side of your home, you want that item to be prominent and on display while the mounting block remains in the background.
This means you should choose a model that is as small and inconspicuous as possible – while also making sure that it’s large enough for whatever you want to mount on it.
Easy to fit
If you want to install the mounting block yourself, you should pay attention to how easy it is to do, especially if you only have basic or moderate DIY skills.
For example, some mounting blocks come in two pieces. With these, you attach the first part to the wall, possibly by removing a section of your siding. Once that part is in place, held in place by nails or screws, the second section then simply clicks into place.
For those looking for mounting blocks that are not too difficult to install, this kind that clicks into place would be a good choice.
One important feature to look out for is whether a mounting block is waterproof. This is because it needs to protect your wall or siding, and it also needs to protect any electrical cables that might be inside.
At the same time, since it may not be possible for the housing to be 100% waterproof, it’s also a good idea to choose a mounting block with a drip hole in the bottom to give any water that gets inside somewhere to escape.
Since mounting blocks may be exposed to the sun, they should be protected against UV rays. Vinyl tends to lose its color in sunlight, so if you choose a mounting block that’s made of vinyl, you should make sure that it has some kind of UV protection.
Finally, you should make sure that any mounting block you choose is suitable for what you want it for. Some are designed for light fittings only while others can be used for a wide range of purposes – so don’t forget to check this out when buying.
Plenty of great options to choose from
As you can see, when it comes to vinyl siding mounting blocks, there are plenty of great options to choose from for the job, and most of them are easy to install and extremely inexpensive to buy.
If you’ve decided you need a mounting block to fit onto your vinyl siding but you’re unsure about which one to go for, any of the picks in our review would be a great place to start your search.