If you’re planning a vintage interior, getting your hands on authentic retro flooring can be a challenge. So why not consider vinyl?
With lots of great retro patterns out there, you can get the look you need without spending a fortune. And installation is simple too.
We’ve checked out ten of the best vintage vinyl flooring options on the market right now. And we’re going to give you a no-holds-barred summary of their pros and cons.
So step this way to find the perfect vintage flooring for your needs!
Quick Glace: best vintage vinyl flooring
The best vintage vinyl flooring options
1. FloorPops FP2950 Leyton Floor Tiles
FloorPops do a great line in retro and vintage vinyl, and a number of their patterns make our list. This one, Leyton, features a funky black, white and gray palette. And the design is made up of a series of small hexagons, composed into diamond shapes. It’s a great look for a bold retro interior.
Each tile measures 12 inches on each side, so it’s easy to calculate how many you’ll need. They come in packs of 10, with one pack giving total coverage of 10 square feet.
Installing your floor is just as easy as planning it. The self-adhesive backs simply stick in place on top of your sub-floor. Just make sure that sub-floor is in good condition before you start. If it’s uneven, the tiles may not stick tight. And they’re thin – 0.06 inches – so any lumps and bumps will show straight through.
They’re made of virgin vinyl and have a textured, low sheen surface. They’re moisture resistant, so you can use them in any room in your house. But if you want them to be able to cope with standing water, you’ll need to grout between them.
- Easy to install – just peel off the backing paper and stick them in place
- Each tile measures one square foot, so it’s easy to calculate how many you’ll need
- Textured surface to help prevent slips
- They’re thin – so you’ll need to prepare your sub-floor properly to get rid of lumps and bumps
- You’ll need to grout between them if you want them to be completely waterproof.
2. Achim Home Furnishings FTVSO10320 Nexus Floor Tiles
The Nexus floor tiles from Achim Home Furnishings feature a smart monochrome design. Each tile is divided into four, creating a checkerboard pattern of black and white. The black quadrants have white flecks too, adding to the vintage feel.
These tiles have a high gloss finish, so they’ll really reflect the light. But there’s no wax involved, so they’re easy to maintain. Just vacuum regularly, and give them a clean with a damp mop as needed.
Each tile measures 12 inches long by 12 inches wide. You’ll get 20 in a pack, giving total coverage of 20 square feet. They’re self-adhesive, so they’re easy to install. And they come with a 5-year limited warranty.
They’re thin, though – just 0.05 inches deep. That means you’ll need a sub-floor that’s clean, smooth and level. And depending on what your sub-floor is made of, you may find you need extra adhesive to get them to stick tight.
You may also find the patterns don’t align precisely between tiles. The difference is small enough that most people won’t notice it. But if you’re a perfectionist, you may find it annoying.
- High gloss finish reflects the light
- Easy to install, with self-adhesive backs
- Comes with a 5-year limited warranty
- Depending on what your sub-floor is made of, you may need extra glue to get a secure fit
- The pattern doesn’t align precisely between every tile.
3. BRIKETO Sevilla Tile Stickers
BRIKETO’s brightly colored Sevilla tiles are a cross between a tile and a sticker. They’re very thin, and can be applied directly over existing tiles, concrete or plywood. And when it’s time to update your look, they’re easy to remove too.
The pattern has a vintage Mediterranean feel, with each tile divided into quadrants with a different pattern. The colors are a complementary mix of dark blue, mustard, sage green and burgundy on a white ground.
Each sticker measures 13 inches long by 13 inches wide. One pack will give you total coverage of 7 square feet. They’re water resistant, so can be used in any room in your home. Note that if you want them to be completely waterproof, you’ll need to fill the gaps between stickers with grout.
You may need to do some extra preparation too, depending on your sub-floor. Concrete floors, for example, will need to be primed, to prevent the glue being absorbed into the surface. And if you have any uneven patches, they’ll need to be sanded down to get a smooth finish.
- Easy to apply …
- … and to remove when you want a change
- Water resistant
- Very thin – your sub-floor will need to be perfectly smooth
- If you want them to be waterproof, you’ll need to grout between the stickers.
4. Achim Home Furnishings RTFTV60220 Medallion Floor Tiles
These Medallion floor tiles are the second product from Achim Home Furnishings to make our list. The vintage pattern features a green and white color palette that would freshen up any interior. And they come with a 3-year warranty.
Each tile is 12 inches long by the same wide, and there are 20 in a pack. They’re self-adhesive, so installation couldn’t be easier. Just peel off the protective paper and stick them in place.
As with so many self-adhesive tiles, though, these are pretty thin at 0.06 inches. Spend time preparing your sub-floor and you’ll find installation goes much quicker. Smooth out any bumps and hollows, and have extra adhesive on hand in case you need it.
The good thing about them being so thin is that they’re light. If you’re looking for tiles that can be used on your walls too, they’re a good option. Just add extra glue if you do that.
- Self-adhesive for easy installation
- Lightweight enough to be used on walls as well as floors
- Come with a 3-year warranty
- Too thin to disguise any imperfections in your sub-floor
- You may fine you need extra adhesive, especially if you’re applying them to a vertical surface.
5. FloorPops FP2946 Lattice Floor Tiles
These Lattice floor tiles from FloorPops are a great option if you’re looking for a subtle retro look. The pattern comes straight out of the 1960s, but the color way is a pale gray on a white ground.
The tiles come in packs of ten, and each one measures 12 inches long by 12 inches wide. With one tile giving coverage of 1 square foot, it’s easy to calculate how many you’ll need for your floor. Just remember to add in about 10 per cent extra for wastage.
They’re 0.06 inches thick, so they’re another product that needs to be applied over a smooth, clean surface. Take the time for proper preparation, and you’ll find installation much easier. The self-adhesive backs will stick firmly, as long as there’s good contact across the sub-floor.
They’re water resistant and washable. And their lightly textured surface is comfortable underfoot, as well as helping to avoid slips.
But note that we have come across some issues with the pattern not aligning precisely between tiles.
- Each tile covers 1 square foot, so it’s easy to calculate the required quantities
- Water resistant and washable
- Lightly textured surface helps avoid slips
- Another thin tile – you’ll need to have a smooth and level sub-floor to get a good finish
- We’ve heard of cases where the pattern hasn’t aligned neatly between tiles.
6. Livelynine Checkered Flooring Roll
This checkered flooring roll from Livelynine is a good choice if you prefer vinyl sheet to tiles. Each roll measures 15.8 inches wide and comes in a range of lengths from 78.8 to 394 inches.
It has a sharp black and white checkerboard design, perfectly recreating the look of a retro diner. And it can be used on pretty much any surface, whether horizontal or vertical.
It’s self-adhesive, so it’s easy to apply as long as the surface is clean and smooth. It’s not the heaviest duty option out there, though. So while it will work well in lighter traffic areas, we wouldn’t recommend it for hallways.
When it’s time to remove it, it comes up easily, without leaving a sticky residue. And it comes with a 30-day money-back satisfaction guarantee for peace of mind.
- Self-adhesive for easy installation
- Suitable for both floors and walls
- Comes with a 30-day money-back satisfaction guarantee
- Not very heavy duty – so not the best choice for high-traffic areas
- You’ll need the surface to which you’re applying it to be completely smooth.
7. Achim Home Furnishings RTFTV60920 Carrera Floor Tiles
These Carrera tiles from Achim Home Furnishings have a funky black and white pattern. They’d cut a retro dash in any room in your home. And they come with the reassurance of a 3-year limited warranty.
The finish is matte, but the white ground means these will still reflect plenty of light. Each tile measures 12 inches on each side, and they’re 0.06 inches thick.
They’re coated with adhesive, so installation is quick and easy. Just peel off the backing paper and place them in position. They’re easy to cut too – a utility knife will do the job without any effort. As long as your sub-floor is smooth and flat, you’ll be able to complete an average sixed room in just a few hours.
As ever, if your sub-floor isn’t in such good shape, it won’t be quite so easy. You may find you need extra adhesive to get the tiles to stick firmly. And it’s a good idea to sand down bumps and fill any dips before you start. They’ll show through the surface if you don’t.
- Self-adhesive for fast installation
- Easy to cut using just a utility knife
- Come with a 3-year limited warranty
- You may find you need extra adhesive, particularly if your sub-floor isn’t perfectly flat
- Any imperfections in your sub-floor will show through the thin vinyl.
8. FloorPops FP2480 Comet Floor Tiles (Our Top Pick)
The Comet pattern from FloorPops is our favorite of the many vintage styles on offer from this manufacturer. It pairs a smart black and white design with a traditional pattern that’s almost Victorian in its inspiration. It would look fantastic in any shabby chic design scheme.
There are ten tiles in each pack, and each one measures 12 inches long and 12 inches wide. That means you’ll get total coverage of 10 square feet per pack.
They’re self-adhesive, so you won’t need extra glue or grout. But if you want your floor to be completely waterproof, grouting between them will prevent water getting into the joins. And this is another case where you’ll need your sub-floor to be in good shape to get the perfect finish.
This is another case where the pattern doesn’t always align perfectly between tiles. Be prepared to rotate the tiles as you lay them, to get the best fit.
The surface is lightly textured, so it’s comfortable underfoot. And it means you’re less likely to slip if it gets damp.
- Traditional design in a smart monochrome color way
- Self-adhesive for easier installation
- Lightly textured surface helps prevent slips
- Watch out for patterns that don’t align perfectly between tiles
- You’ll need to make sure your sub-floor is smooth and level for a good finish.
9. FloorPops FP2481 Kikkal Floor Tiles
FloorPops’ Kikkal tiles ooze bags of vintage style with their geometric pattern of gray on white.
Each tile measures 12 inches on each side, and there are 10 in every pack. That’s about as easy as it gets in terms of working out how many packs you’ll need for your floor!
Installation is just as easy too, with these self-adhesive tiles. But again, they measure only 0.06 inches thick. If your sub-floor has the odd imperfection, you’ll need to spend time sorting that out before you start.
Make sure you order all the tiles you’ll need in one go, and check each box before you start. We’ve heard of some cases where the color has varied between boxes.
And watch out for pattern alignment too. You may find you need to turn the tiles to get the best fit.
Once they’re down, the textured finish will help prevent slips and falls. And the tiles are water resistant and washable for easy maintenance.
- Self-adhesive for easier installation
- Washable and water resistant
- Textured surface helps prevent slips
- Watch out for color variations between packs
- We’ve heard of cases where the pattern hasn’t lined up exactly between tiles.
10. FloorPops FP2943 Alfama Floor Tiles
These Alfama tiles from FloorPops are our final choice. They feature a vintage pattern in pretty shades of pale blue and dove gray against a white ground.
Each tile covers one square foot, measuring 12 inches on each side. They come in packs of ten, and they’re self-adhesive for easier installation.
They’re made of virgin vinyl, and they’re washable and water resistant. And they have a textured surface for comfort and safety.
They’re the same 0.06 inches deep as the other FloorPops offerings. That means you’ll need to ensure your sub-floor is smooth, clean and even to get the best results.
And this is another product where we’ve heard of problems getting the pattern to align between tiles. Check that out before you start sticking them in place.
- Self-adhesive, so installation is quick and simple
- Made of virgin vinyl that’s washable and water resistant
- Textured surface for comfort and safety
- The 0.06-inch thickness isn’t enough to disguise imperfections in your sub-floor
- Watch out for patterns that don’t align across tiles.
Ready to make your choice?
We hope you’ve enjoyed our round-up of ten of the best vintage vinyl flooring options out there! Whether you’re looking for a pop of color, or a cool monochromatic look, there’s plenty of choice.
We love the FloorPops range, and especially the classic Comet design. It combines a dramatic black and white color way with Victorian grandeur. And we think it’s the perfect choice for any shabby chic interior.
But whichever flooring you choose, we hope you love bringing the vintage look to life in your home. Happy shopping!