Yes! a Swiffer WetJet can be used on luxury vinyl flooring. Maybe you used Swiffer products in the past, or perhaps you have heard all the hype regarding the convenience of the Swiffer system and are interested in its suitability for your flooring. In any case, together, we will take a closer look at the advantages and disadvantages inherent to this trendy cleaning tool.
Table of Contents
What is a Swiffer WetJet?
The Swiffer WetJet is a modern-day alternative to the traditional mop-and-bucket system. It aims to be more convenient than its cleaning counterparts. In addition, its design and versatility will answer the cleanliness and sanitization problems that have likely turned your stomach if you are like me.
Swiffer’s Out-of-the-Box System
The WetJet requires you to insert 4 AA batteries (which works the spray function) and assemble the handle. It includes a reservoir on the mop itself that houses the cleaning solution suitable for your particular floor.
With a press of a button, the solution sprays onto your floor from small holes located in the mop head. Depending on how long you hold the button down controls the amount of cleaner that is released.
Before I give you a rundown of what you will need to employ the Swiffer WetJet to your flooring, watch this quick start guide from Swiffer.
What Will You Need?
The great news is that if properly cared for, the Swiffer WetJet system will last a lifetime. In addition, with an upfront cost of $25.99 (which includes a starter kit), you will be able to consolidate many of your cleaning tools into this effective all-in-one tool.
However, selecting this product as the newest member of your cleaning arsenal will incur monthly costs for both the cleaning solution refills and the disposable cleaning pads, both of which you can purchase at your local big-box store or directly through Amazon.
If you have luxury vinyl flooring and want to discover the Swiffer WetJet, be sure to order the appropriate cleaning solution. Specifically, you will need to purchase the Vinyl, Tile, & Laminate Solution Refill.
Please be aware that there is no way to refill the solution cartridge if you already have a preferred cleaning mixture or if you are trying to save a few bucks along the way.
Many customers seem to agree that one bottle of solution will last for approximately one month. But, of course, longevity will vary on many factors, including frequency of use, the size of your space, and how much solution you spray per mopping session.
The disposable cleaning pads come in packs of different quantities and purposes. Swiffer offers a multi-surface pad and a heavy-duty version for the more resilient dirt and grime spots. Both options feature a ‘scrubby strip’ meant to lock in and remove tough dirt with not too much effort.
Before going any further, I must take a moment to share a significant downside to this disposable system. Hence, I will warn you of the long-term effects your decision may have on the environment, but I will also provide its counterargument.
You will generate plenty of trash if you decide to move forward with the Swiffer WetJet. In addition, because Swiffer does not offer a refillable alternative to the cleaning solution cartridges, the packaging for these cartridges and every disposable pad you consume will, unfortunately, end up in a landfill.
In an interview between Jennifer van der Meer and Swiffer designer Gianfranco Zaccai, one of the world’s leading design innovators pointed out that the energy consumption and volume of water used with traditional mopping had a more significant impact on the environment.
After researching the cleaning practicum of the average household, Mr. Zaccai and his R&D team uphold that the Swiffer WetJet provides a more sustainable solution that adds value to both the producer and the consumer.
I am not here to sway your decision based on the environmental impact of the Swiffer WetJet compared to other cleaning solutions. Instead, this is a conscientious decision that requires your own moral and intellectual investment.
My goal is to inform you of the various factors involved in switching to another cleaning system for your flooring.
Now, let’s move on to general cleaning tips for your luxury vinyl flooring, including the Swiffer WetJet as your mopping companion.
Best Cleaning Practices
Great! So, you have decided that the Swiffer WetJet is the best solution for your residential or commercial cleaning needs. The convenience and overall ease-to-use of this lightweight system are too attractive to dismiss.
I understand your position. As a previous first-time homebuyer, apartment-dweller, and now business owner, I have used some version of the Swiffer system for the past six years on various flooring surfaces.
Suppose you have pets or children, and your flooring experiences heavy foot traffic. In that case, you have every right to demand a quick yet effective turn-key cleaning solution for that dreaded nighttime or early morning cleaning that you cannot justify postponing any longer.
You have luxury vinyl flooring and would like to implement a sustainable cleaning routine. Would you mind looking at this list of tips and tricks on how to care for your luxury vinyl flooring properly?
- Say NO to steam! The steam produced from warming the water in the steam mops reservoir will penetrate your vinyl planks or tiles, causing damage to its fibrous core.
- Sweep dust and dirt away on a regular (daily) basis when possible. I recommend using a soft bristle brush such as the SoftSweepBroom. Alternatively, you can stick with Swiffer all the way and purchase the signature Swiffer Sweeper kit with disposable dry cloths.
- Using your new Swiffer WetJet, make sure to mop your vinyl flooring once a week. Be sure to use the manufacturer’s cleaning solution suitable for vinyl flooring. Although every Swiffer WetJet accessory is safe for vinyl flooring, you should aim for less frequency with your luxury plank or tile surface.
- Instead of relying on the ‘scrubby strip‘ to work overtime, make sure you clean up accidents or other harsh spills immediately. Refer to Bob Vila’s tried and tested cleaning advice for vinyl floor cleaning.
- Do your best to prevent scuffs and scratches, such as placing felt pads on the bottom of your furniture. Doing so will preserve the integrity of the wear-resistant layer on your luxury vinyl flooring.
- Apply a vinyl sealant if necessary. Always consult your flooring manufacturer for a recommended sealant.
**REMEMBER any unsealed floor is at risk for moisture damage. Therefore, be modest in the amount of cleaning solution you spray using your Swiffer WetJet. (Look back at Tip#4)
The polymer composition of luxury vinyl paired with its transparent wear-resistant top layer is waterproof; however, the seams between each plank or tile are not. These seemingly insignificant gaps are just large enough for water intrusion and the damage that naturally follows.
Although luxury vinyl flooring is durable, ‘waterproof’ (not to be taken for granted), and highly resilient, it is not immune from careless or extreme cleaning and maintenance routines.
Pros and Cons of the Swiffer WetJet
Throughout this article, I have explained multiple benefits and costs of using the Swiffer WetJet on your luxury vinyl flooring. So, just before you place the Amazon order for your WetJet, look over this concise list of pros and cons:
Pros of the Swiffer WetJet
- 46″ long handle prevents back strain
- the starter kit comes ready for immediate use (including the batteries)
- easy-to-use with disposable pads
- effective around tight spaces (such as bathrooms and kitchens)
- no more filling and dumping heavy mop buckets
- no more wringing out nasty mopheads
- left with a lasting clean, crisp smell after use
Cons of the Swiffer WetJet
- can become an expensive investment with multiple replacement parts (solution, pads, and batteries)
- no way to use your preferred cleaning solution unless you use a separate sprayer
- no way to refill the cleaning solution container
- no sticky film or residue build-up
- for larger areas, the pads will have to be changed frequently
- with improper use of the spray button, you will release too much solution
- environmental impact due to significant generation of trash
Cleaning your floors is not a simple task. It takes an investment of time, and you should be careful to choose a proper care and maintenance routine designed for your particular flooring material.
To Swiffer or Not to Swiffer? That is the Question
Naturally, you want to enjoy your luxury vinyl flooring and protect your investment. The truth is you need an effective and efficient cleaning solution for your home that fits your busy lifestyle.
The Swiffer WetJet is a sound choice to make as your preferred floor cleaning buddy. However, for your sound of mind, I suggest you consult with your flooring manufacturer first and then remember to employ the tips and tricks I have shared with you in this article.
Now that you have learned that the Swiffer WetJet is a safe and efficient tool to upkeep the cleanliness and maintain the sanitization of your luxury vinyl flooring, I hope that you will enjoy this addition to your cleaning closet.
Please feel free to comment below with any questions or concerns regarding the Swiffer WetJet system or luxury vinyl flooring maintenance.