Nowadays, vinyl is among the most popular materials to use for siding, and one of the main reasons for this is that it requires very little maintenance. However, that doesn’t mean “no maintenance”, and to keep it looking in perfect condition, it still needs washing occasionally.
To do this, you’ll need to find the right cleaning product – so to help, here’s our guide to the best vinyl siding cleaner to make sure you select the perfect product for your needs.
The Best Vinyl Siding Cleaner on the Market
1. 30 SECONDS Cleaners Hose End Sprayer Outdoor Cleaner
As the name of this cleaning product suggests, it works extremely quickly. You simply spray it on, give it a little time to take effect and then rinse it off. It will then leave your vinyl siding – or almost any other surface – clean and free of dirt and mold.
Another benefit is that this product is not harmful to plants or lawns – once you rinse it off, it simply washes into the ground and breaks down naturally, without damaging anything that’s growing there.
However, be aware that this solution can damage your clothes, especially ones with dark colors – so make sure you’re wearing something you don’t mind ruining when you use it.
Also, we might complain that the applicator is not great – and it might be easier to use this cleaner if you have one of your own.
In sum, this is a highly effective option that will make short work of dirt and mold on most surfaces, so if you’re looking for something that gets the job done without the need for pressure washing, this is a product that’s worth considering.
- Spray on, hose off – minimal effort required
- No need to pressure wash – does the job by itself
- Fast-acting – as the name suggests
- Suitable for almost any surface – works well on vinyl
- Doesn’t damage lawn or plants – breaks down naturally in soil
- Applicator not great – makes it a bit awkward to spray on
- May damage clothes – be careful when working with it
2. Scotts Outdoor Cleaner Multi-Purpose Formula
For those who don’t like to have collections of bottles of all kinds of cleaning products in their cupboard, this all-in-one product can be used to clean just about anything – including vinyl siding and much more.
It features a fast-foaming action – you just spray it on, leave it for around 10 minutes and then wash it off. It’s also highly effective at getting dirt out of cracks, so it’s a great way to give your home a deep clean. It’s bleach-free and won’t harm your plants or lawn either.
On the downside, it might not do such a great job with encrusted dirt – although with a gentle scrub to help, it should do what you need it to. Also, it doesn’t go quite as far as you might expect, so you’ll probably want to buy more than you think you’ll need.
This is a great multi-purpose cleaner that will do a fine job of keeping your vinyl siding clean – along with many other outdoor surfaces. It’s easy to use and sells at a very reasonable price point, making it another possibility to check out.
- Bleach free – not as harsh as some products
- Fast-foaming action – effective at breaking down mold and mildew
- Gets dirt out of gaps – for an effective deep clean
- Multi-purpose – can be used to clean more than just vinyl siding
- Grass- and plant-friendly – won’t kill vegetation
- Might struggle with encrusted dirt – but you can help with a light scrub
- Doesn’t go as far as you might expect – need a lot of product to clean surfaces
3. Mold Armor Cleaner
If you’re looking for a cleaner that does a good job on mold, this is one that should be of interest. It’s easy to use – you just spray it on and leave it to break down the mold and other grime before rinsing it off again. It only takes 10 minutes to act, so it’s quick to use too.
We like the way the built-in applicator works so well – it’s powerful enough to reach right up to the second storey of a building. You don’t need to pressure-wash with this cleaner – but for extra-stubborn stains, you could consider using this product as a pre-wash too.
One issue is that one application might not be enough for the most encrusted stains, although spraying and rinsing twice should get the job done. Also, be careful when spraying near plants. This cleaner is supposed to be plant-friendly, but some plants might still not appreciate it.
This product is especially useful for dealing with mold, but it can also be used to clean general dirt and grime from vinyl siding, so for anyone looking for an effective, affordable option, this is another cleaner that should be on your list of possibilities.
- Simple to use – just apply, wait for it to work and then rinse
- Quick-acting – only needs around 10 mins to take effect
- Good built-in applicator – will reach 2nd storey of your house
- Very effective at removing mold – a good pick if mold is an issue
- Don’t need to pressure-wash – but can be used before pressure-washing too
- May need to use more for tougher stains – two applications should do the job
- Can harm plants – although it’s supposed to be plant-friendly
4. Karcher Multi-Purpose Cleaning Pressure Power Washer Detergent Soap
This multi-purpose cleaner from Kärcher is a great solution for all kinds of cleaning jobs – including taking care of vinyl siding. It’s highly concentrated, so it goes a long way, and it’s also very reasonably priced for such an effective product.
We appreciate the fact that it’s biodegradable, so it’s an ecological option, and it does a great job of removing all kinds of dirt, grime, mold and mildew.
One thing to point out is that it does a better job of cleaning vinyl siding when used in a pressure cleaner – but it still does a decent job when used without one. Also, it has a slightly pungent odor, but this should hardly be a deal-breaker.
In short, this is a versatile product that’s suitable for all kinds of cleaning jobs – so if you prefer something that will have many uses rather than something specifically for vinyl siding, this cleaner could be a smart pick.
- Effective cleaner – does a great job of cleaning dirt and grime
- Highly concentrated – goes a long way
- Versatile product – can be used to clean a wide range of surfaces
- Biodegradable – an ecological choice
- Affordable product – very reasonable price
- More effective in a pressure washer – but still does a good job without
- A little smelly – some people won’t like the odor
5. Oxy Solve House and Siding Pressure Washer Cleaner
When it comes to eco-friendly cleaning products, this version from Simple Green is among the best. It is kind to the environment and won’t hurt pets, plants or lawns, making it a great option if you don’t want to do your bit to help save the planet.
Most people will also appreciate the fact that it doesn’t have a strong, unpleasant odor – and yet it’s still a highly effective cleaner for all kinds of dirt, algae, mildew and mold.
That said, this isn’t a heavy-duty cleaner, and it’s at its best if you don’t let more encrusted dirt build up – it’s a much better choice for more regular cleaning. Also, bear in mind that you’ll need to scrub with this cleaner, although it shouldn’t be anything too strenuous.
Overall, this would be a smart pick for the ecologically aware homeowner to use for regular maintenance of their vinyl siding – and if that sounds like you, this is a product that should be of interest.
- Eco Pledge friendly – not harmful to the environment
- Free of harsh chemicals – non-toxic formula
- Safe for use around pets – as well as plants and lawns
- No strong odor – not unpleasant to use
- Effective against algae, mildew and mold – will have your siding looking like new
- Requires scrubbing – although nothing too strenuous
- Not ideal for heavy-duty cleaning – best if you don’t let things get too bad
6. Moldex Yellow Concentrated Instant House Wash
When the dirt on your home gets really heavy, sometimes you need a more heavy-duty solution, in which case, this is a product you might want to try.
Featuring Active Cling technology, you just spray it on, give it chance to work and then rinse it off – no scrubbing or physical effort is required. It comes with an applicator that can reach up to the second storey too, making it super-easy to use.
This product contains no phosphates, so that’s one nasty ingredient you don’t need to worry about – but it does contain bleach, so you’ll still need to be careful when using it.
You’ll also need to be careful when using it around plants or lawn because it may harm them – but if you give them a good spray with water before you start, it should be ok.
As far as strong cleaning solutions are concerned, this would be a great pick. It’s not exactly the most environmentally friendly, but if you need something that will get the job done, this is an option you might turn to.
- Strong cleaner – good for deep cleans and encrusted dirt
- Active Cling technology – no scrubbing required
- Applicator reaches 2nd storey – no need to climb on ladders
- Contains no phosphates – one less harmful ingredient to worry about
- Extremely easy to use – just spray on, wait and rinse off
- Contains bleach – although this is a heavy-duty option
- May harm plants – recommended to spray them with water first
7. Wet & Forget Roof and Siding Cleaner
As the name of this product suggests, all you have to do is spray it on and forget about it. That means there’s no scrubbing, and you don’t even need to wash it off after application. It also comes with an Xtreme Reach nozzle with a range of up to 30ft, making it even easier to use.
Since it’s non-acidic, bleach-free and phosphate-free, you don’t need to worry about unpleasant chemicals, and it can be used on a range of surfaces, making it a versatile product.
It’s especially effective on mold and mildew – but sometimes you might need to be a bit patient because you won’t see instant results. Also, understand that this is not a miracle cleaner, and for tougher jobs, you might be better off with stronger products.
However, these minor negatives aside, if you’re looking for a cleaner that will take all the effort out of keeping your vinyl siding or other surfaces clean, this is a cleaner that can get the job done with no hard work required.
- Minimal effort required – no scrubbing or even rinsing
- Xtreme Reach nozzle – can spray up to 30ft
- Non-acidic, bleach-free and phosphate-free – for extra peace of mind
- Can be used on most surfaces – multi-purpose cleaner
- Good for removing moss and mildew – dies and falls off after application
- Doesn’t work immediately – need to be a little patient
- Not a miracle cleaner – will need something stronger for encrusted dirt
8. Star Brite Outdoor All Surface Mold Stain & Mildew Stain Remover
Here’s another quick and easy solution that will effectively remove mold, mildew and dirt from vinyl siding and most other surfaces. It’s marketed as “professional-grade” cleaner, and it certainly gets the job done.
The active ingredient is “buffered bleach”, which is supposed to do a better job than regular bleach while also being gentler on your surfaces. It’s quick-acting too, and usually only needs to be left on for a maximum of one minute before rinsing off again.
However, despite the effectiveness of this product, some people might consider it quite expensive for what it is – and some might question whether it might be a lot cheaper to simply use regular bleach.
Also, it has quite a pungent odor – but for most people, this shouldn’t be a reason not to buy it.
All in all, a good option if you’re looking for an effective product that does what it claims, making cleaning your vinyl siding and other surfaces quick and easy. Another recommended cleaner.
- Easy to use – spray on and then wipe off
- Uses buffered bleach – gentler than regular bleach
- Effective solution – professional-grade cleaner
- Quick-acting – usually only takes 30 secs – 1 min to work
- Made in USA – American-made product
- A little pricey – but gets the job done
- Smelly liquid – not one for people sensitive to pungent odors
9. Renu Cleaner Gallon-Premium Cleaner Concentrate
The big advantage of this cleaner is that it can tackle oxidation stains as well as the regular mold and mildew that tends to accumulate on vinyl siding, so just for that, it’s a winner.
Even better, once applied, it lasts for three years, so you won’t need to worry about cleaning your siding every year. It’s also free of harmful chemicals, so you can feel safe using it around your family, pets or plants. One bottle also mixes up a large volume of cleaning solution.
On the downside, this cleaner still requires you to scrub a bit to get the stains off, so it isn’t an effort-free option. Also, it might struggle with deeply encrusted stains – so for those, choosing a stronger cleaner may be a better idea.
If you’re looking for something that will help remove oxidation, mold, mildew and general dirt, this could be the ideal pick. However, if your surfaces are already in a pretty bad state, you might prefer other options for returning them to their optimal condition.
- Removes oxidation – as well as mold and mildew stains
- Lasts 3 years – no need to clean your surfaces every year
- Concentrated product – mixes up a large volume of cleaning solution
- Non-toxic – free from harmful chemicals
- Versatile solution – suitable for most cleaning applications
- Requires a bit of scrubbing – not an effort-free cleaner
- Might struggle with the most encrusted stains – not a heavy-duty option
10. Clorox Company House & Siding Cleaner
This product is a simple cleaning solution that does a great job on vinyl sidings but that’s also suitable for use on a range of other surfaces, so you won’t need to buy different products for different areas.
Since it comes with an applicator, it’s convenient to use, and the instructions on the bottle are simple enough for just about anyone to follow. We also like the way it doesn’t have bleach in it, making it a gentler cleaning option for your walls as well as for the environment.
That said, it isn’t a heavy-duty cleaner, so if you need something for more significant dirt, this might not cut it. Also, this cleaner is not so effective on mildew – it does better cleaning regular dirt stains.
This is a product that’s aimed at people who want an affordable all-round cleaner that gets the job done without using any harsh chemicals. And if that sounds like what you need, this could be just what you’re looking for.
- Simple instructions – easy for anyone to follow
- Includes applicator – to make it more convenient to use
- Works well on vinyl – will help keep vinyl siding clean
- Suitable for many surfaces – not just vinyl
- Non-bleach formula – gentle on walls and the environment
- Not so effective on mildew stains – more useful for regular dirt
- Not heavy-duty – won’t cut it on extra-dirty siding
If you’re looking for some effective vinyl siding cleaner for your home, you’ll probably be wondering about the kind of factors to look out for when choosing – so let’s think about that now.
Type of cleaning action
One of the first things to look at is how the product you want to buy does the business.
Some cleaners are designed for use in pressure cleaners while others require you to scrub your walls after applying the product.
However, yet others require you to simply spray on the wall, leave for a while and then rinse off with a regular garden hose.
Those designed for pressure washers or scrubbing might be more effective for encrusted dirt, but spray-and-rinse formulas require less work, so this is something to consider when buying.
Something that might be important to a lot of people is the ingredients incorporated in a cleaner.
Many contain bleach, and while this is an effective cleaner, it’s also more harmful to the environment, so some people might prefer to avoid it. On the other hand, non-bleach cleaners might be less potent, so this is something you’ll have to weigh up.
Most cleaners nowadays are free of phosphate, a chemical known to be harmful to health, but it’s best to check this too when buying since this is not something you want to be spraying on your house.
Safe for plants, lawn and pets
Linked to the ingredients found in a cleaner is whether it is safe for use near plants and lawns. Some cleaners contain ingredients that will kill vegetation, so this is something to avoid if you don’t want to ruin your flowers or grass.
Similarly, if you have animals in your home, you might also want to look for products that aren’t dangerous for their health if you don’t want them to get sick.
Suitable for other surfaces
Many cleaners are suitable for surfaces other than just vinyl, so if you want to get more use out of it – for example, for cleaning patios or walls – this is another point to remember.
If you buy a cleaner that needs to be sprayed over your walls, you’ll need a way to deliver it – so choosing a product that comes with an applicator will make this easier if you don’t have one of your own.
How quickly does the product work? Some work very quickly while others take a bit longer – so this is another factor to consider when choosing.
No shortage of products to turn to
As you can see, whether you want a gentle, environmentally friendly cleaner or something a bit more heavy-duty that can cut through all the dirt, grime, mildew and mold, there’s no shortage of products on the market.
If you’ve decided you need to buy some new vinyl siding cleaner to give your house a wash but you don’t know which to go for, any of the options in our review would be a great place to start your search.