Vinyl floors are inexpensive, easy to install and – since they require very little maintenance –extremely convenient. However, if you want to extend the life of your vinyl floor, it’s still a good idea to give it a coat of “wax” to protect it.
Most “waxes” nowadays aren’t really wax – they’re acrylic – but people still tend to call them wax. And to help you find the right one for your floor, here’s our guide to the best floor wax for vinyl to make sure you choose the most suitable one for your needs.
The Best Floor Wax for Vinyl
The Best Floor Wax for Vinyl
1. Lundmark All Wax
This easy-to-use formula from Lundmark is suitable for all floor types – including vinyl. The instructions on the bottle are simple to follow, and once applied, you will have a non-slip surface that is waterproof and that will protect the surface of your floor.
We especially like the high-gloss finish, and the fact that this formula leaves no residue once it dries is a big plus.
There’s very little to dislike about this product. Some might complain that the finish is not so shiny on surfaces like ceramic tile – but on vinyl, it works well. Also, it has a slightly pungent smell, but if you open the windows during application, it’s not a big issue.
All in all, a great product that will provide a noticeable shine to your vinyl floor as well as creating a protective layer that will increase its life. It also sells at a very reasonable price point, meaning with this product, you can hardly go wrong.
- Suitable for all floor types – including vinyl
- Non-slip surface – gives you good traction
- Water-resistant – helps protect your floor
- High-gloss finish – a few coats will give you a good shine
- No residue – you won’t notice it once it’s dry
- Doesn’t shine as well on some surfaces – but does the job on vinyl
- Pungent odor – but not too bad with an open window
2. Lundmark Super Gloss Acrylic
This is another floor wax from Lundmark, and this one is intended as a heavy-duty solution that will give your floor extra protection while also giving you a satisfying shine. It’s commercial grade but designed for home use, doesn’t yellow and should last a good few years.
On the downside, like the product above, this wax has a slightly unpleasant odor, so remember to leave the windows open when applying it. It takes a while to dry too – but leaving the windows open for ventilation will also help with this.
This product would be a good pick for anyone looking for a floor wax that will provide maximum protection for their vinyl floor while also giving it a shiny gloss, and if that sounds like what you need, this is an option that’s well worth a try.
- Heavy-duty finish – gives your floor maximum protection
- Super-glossy sheen – hence the name
- Commercial-grade wax – but designed for use in the home
- Doesn’t yellow with time – retains its shiny look
- Long-lasting protection – won’t need to reapply for a couple of years
- A bit smelly – like the other product from Lundmark
- Takes a while to dry – make sure the room is well ventilated
3. Ultra-High Gloss Floor Finish Wax
For those who don’t have time to waste, this quick-drying wax should help solve the problem. A 1-gallon bottle is enough to cover 2000 square feet, and when it’s done, you’ll be left with an impressive shine as well as a protective layer that will last a long time.
That said, you’ll need to apply several coats for the best results since just one or two might not give you the look you’re hoping for. Also, be aware that if you get water on the surface, it can produce a white film – but this is easy to avoid by not using too much water when washing it.
This product is easy to use, gives reliable results and will help keep your floor looking great for longer. It works on vinyl or other floor types and represents great value for money, making it an option worth considering.
- Quick-drying formula – less time to wait after each application
- Goes a long way – 1 gallon covers approx. 2000 square feet
- Impressive shine – will leave your floors looking great
- Easy to apply – simple for anyone to use
- Good durability – won’t need to reapply too often
- May create a white film if it gets too wet – but easy to avoid
- Need to apply a few coats for best results – just one or two won’t do it
4. Holloway House Pure Floor Wax
If you’re the kind of person who likes to do things the old-fashioned way, this true floor wax should be the kind of thing that appeals. It’s buffable, allowing you to work up a shine, and once it’s done, it won’t fade quickly either. This product is suitable for vinyl and other surfaces.
The main problem here is, to buff it properly, you’ll need a buffing machine – although it still yields decent results without one. Another issue is that it doesn’t protect surfaces as well as acrylic “wax”, but if it’s the shine you’re interested in, this product is a winner.
In short, a great pick for anyone who wants to wax their floor with traditional wax and who wants their surfaces to look as shiny as possible. It’s made in the USA too, so if that’s important to you, this is an option that should be on your radar.
- Buffable wax – for an even shinier look
- Ideal for areas with heavy traffic – keeps them looking great for longer
- Traditional wax – for those who like to do things the old-fashioned way
- Lasting shine – don’t need to keep polishing
- Can be used on most surfaces – works well on vinyl
- May need a buffing machine for best results – but still works well without
- Doesn’t protect as well as acrylic – although the shine is fantastic
5. Trewax Professional Gold Label Sealer Wax Gloss Finish
When your floors are looking a little long in the tooth, one of the best ways to brighten them up is with a coat or two of wax, and this product does that job perfectly.
It’s produced by a well-established company with over eight decades of experience, so you can trust it to do what it’s made for.
It does require a few coats to achieve the best results, although that’s normal, and it’s not reasonable to expect too much from just one coat. The shine also fades with time, but that’s normal too, and all you need to do is reapply it when your shine starts to disappear.
This versatile floor wax is an affordable way to return almost any type of surface to its former glory. It’s not expensive either, meaning you get great bang for your buck – and if that’s important to you, this could be a smart pick.
- High-gloss finish – leaves you with beautiful floors
- Trusted company – with 8 decades of experience
- Great way to liven up old floors – will give you a fresh and shiny new look
- No slippiness – surface has good grip after treatment
- Dries quickly – makes it easy to apply
- Shine fades with time – but you just need to reapply a new coat
- Needs a few coats for best results – although this is normal with most waxes
6. Acryliwax 25 High Gloss Commercial Floor Wax
This commercial-grade floor wax is formulated to give you long-lasting protection and an exceptional wet-look shine. It requires only three coats, and it won’t change the color of your floor, so it’s suitable for even surfaces with more delicate hues.
Unfortunately, the smallest bottle it comes in is 1 gallon, which some people might find excessive – although at least you’ll have plenty left to treat your floor as many times as you need. Also, it’s hard to remove – but that just means it’s doing its job protecting your floor.
Many people prefer commercial-grade products since they are much more powerful than regular versions – so if you’re looking for something a bit stronger than most other waxes, this could be just the thing.
- Wet look – for a highly professional shine
- Commercial grade – but suitable for home use
- 3-coat application – doesn’t need any more
- Doesn’t change the color of your floor – suitable for delicate colors
- High solid content – even more effective
- Comes in 1-gallon bottles minimum – may be too big for some
- A little difficult to remove after application – but provides good protection
7. Safeguard Industrial Strength Self Polishing Floor Wax for All Floors
If you like the sound of the commercial-grade product above, this industrial-grade option should also be of interest. It creates a super-shiny surface that’s water-resistant and that also protects your floor against scratches, scuffs and other damage.
The main issue here is that it’s a bit pricey compared with some other options – but for the quality, we think it’s worth what it costs. Other than that, it has quite an odor, but as ever, most people will be able to put up with that if they open the windows when working with it.
For high-traffic areas or any other areas that need extra protection, this could be a smart choice. It gives you a great sheen that will last a long time – which means it’s worth the extra money you need to pay to get your hands on a bottle.
- Industrial strength – but ideal for residential use too
- Water-resistant – keeps your floor protected from splashes
- Protects against wear – helps keep your floors looking great
- Safe for all floor types – works well on vinyl
- Quick-drying – takes only 20 minutes
- A bit smelly – open the windows when working with it
- Expensive option – though still good value
8. Betco Hard As Nails Hard Film Floor Finish
Here’s another high-quality professional-level product that is usually sold in janitorial supply stores but that can also be bought and used for residential applications. It provides superior protection that lasts a long time – as does the impressive shine it creates.
It dries quickly, which helps speed up application – but you need to take your time applying thin, even coats, so it’s not the fastest product to use. Also, since it comes in large buckets, many residential users will find the amount they receive excessive.
This is a tough, reliable product that has a good reputation, which means if you want something that’s sure to do a great job, you could do a lot worse than choosing this one.
- Superior protection – prevents your floor from wearing out
- Self-levelling and self-sealing – helps repair worn-out floors
- Professional product – usually sold by janitorial supply stores
- Extremely long-lasting – keeps its shine for an impressive amount of time
- Dries fast – saves time when applying multiple coats
- Large size – might be too big for residential users
- Takes time to apply properly – can’t be rushed
9. Quick Shine Multi-Surface Floor Finish
Sometimes, you don’t want to go through a long application process to get your floors looking great, and that’s why products like this one exist. You just need to squirt it on the floor and spread it with a mop and you’re done
It also helps repair micro-scratches and gives your floor a beautiful high gloss shine you’ll love.
We might complain that the instructions are not 100% clear – but most people will be able to work out how to use it. Another slight issue is that it doesn’t react well to water, but it’s fine as long as you only wash it with a damp mop.
This is another product we liked a lot, so if you’re looking for something that will help get your floor back to its best with a minimum of effort, this could be the solution you need.
- Helps repair damaged floors – fills in micro-scratches
- Easy application – just squirt and mop
- Suitable for most floor types – not just vinyl
- EPA Safer Choice – safer ingredients for your family
- High-gloss shine – impressive results with such a simple product
- Instructions not perfectly clear – but still easy enough to work out
- Doesn’t react well to water – better to clean with damp mop only
Loads of great options to help keep your floor looking perfect
As you can see, there are plenty of great products available that can do a great job of keeping your vinyl floors in perfect condition.
If you’re looking for some wax to help take care of your floors but don’t know which one to go for, any of the products in our review would be a great place to start your search.